Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 19 - A picture and a letter


Best. Letter. EVER.

That letter was THE best letter I have ever received in my life. It was 3 pages long, it came with a drawing, it was SUPER interesting, it made me laugh out loud, and it was from one of my best friends whom I've never even met before. How awesome is that?!

I seriously LOVE handwritten letters. I actually talk about them quite a bit, but it's just because they're so gosh darn meaningful! I'm big on those meaningful, random acts of kindness type dealios.

I love writing letters to people. Their reactions are normally very enjoyable. As much as I like writing them though, I pretty much die whenever I get one myself. It's just so exciting! You don't know what's written within that folded piece of notebook paper, but since you know who it's from, you know to expect something good. Of course, I suppose you could always be unpleasantly surprised and receive bad news instead. In the words of Lemony Snicket,

It is much, much worse to receive bad news through the written word than by somebody simply telling you, and I'm sure you understand why. When somebody simply tells you the bad news, you hear it once, and that's the end of it. But when bad news is written down, whether in a letter or a newspaper or on your arm in felt tip pen, each time you read it, you feel as if you are receiving the news again and again. --The Miserable Mill

I've thankfully never had to get any bad letters, but I'm sure Mr. Snicket is quite right on the matter.

All this talking of writing letters has made me want to write one to somebody! Who to write to...

No comments:

Post a Comment