Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Peeanner.

"You are the moonlight of my life..." I can't get those song lyrics out of my head! They sound so sweet and romantic. Wow. Anyways, moving on to what I was meaning to write about.

PIANO RECITAL! Anyone remember me talking about that? If so, good for you! If not, boo on you. Just kidding. I don't care either way. This was a test, people! Phew, I'm having some major ADHD issues right now. Ok, FOCUS! Not you focus. Me focus. Gah! I blame my low attention span on this wonderful new Green Day song I've discovered. Alright, it's over. Let's try this again, shall we?

Piano recital. It was everything I thought it would be and more(in a good way, thank goodness). You know, I thought I was doing really well, because I had went almost the whole day without even thinking about me possibly failing horribly. That is, until around 6:40-ish. That's when the nerves kicked in. It didn't help that all the other piano students were nervous as well. Whenever our piano teacher came downstairs and had us all say a little prayer before going upstairs to preform, I calmed down a little bit, but not much. I mostly just felt assured that it wouldn't be the end of the world if I were to mess up. Still didn't want to, but if it happened, no big deal.

As we walked up the stairs to the sanctuary, I asked my friend(who just so happened to be playing a duet with me) how many times she'd been at the recital. Her reply was something like, "3 times, and every single time I get sooo nervous." Well, it was nice to hear that such a talented pianist as herself could still get nervous. We turned the corner, and that's when I saw the crowd.

The church was packed. From my quick glance, I didn't see not one seat available. Thank God that piano wasn't facing towards the crowd, or else I think I seriously might have had a heart attack. There was so much going on, and so many people watching and recording. Even our teacher was nervous, though she wasn't as forthcoming about it.

After she gave an introduction, her students began to play. One by one, a student would walk up to the piano and play a song. Some were small, some were lengthy. Some students went through the song with only a few missed notes, while others missed more than they should have. As my turn approached faster and faster, I couldn't hardly think straight. My sight was getting fuzzy, I felt my face getting hot, my foot was tapping, and I couldn't keep my hands still. All in all, those were the most torturous 30 minutes of my life.

When it was finally my turn to play, I got up, hoping that I wouldn't trip over someones feet(mainly my own). I set my books up, took a deep breath, reminded myself to keep my timing, and started to play my solo. The song was just a short piece, but I played it without any mistakes at all, and my timing wasn't too shabby either. My victory was short lived though, because as soon as I completed that song, I had to play mine and Ellen's duet.

Our duet had been giving us some minor problems, the main one being that we just never had that much time to practice our parts together. We played the song downstairs before the recital, and we declared it "passing". I don't think either of us expected it to go super well. That's why it was such a surprise when we were both up there, in front of goodness knows how many people, and we nailed it! Neither of us missed a beat, our timing was fantastic, and we both remember to play them with different touches(me playing harder and louder, Ellen playing softer). When we each hit our last notes, we both got very giddy and excited, just because it was such a relief to have done so much better than expected.

I went to sit back down, and I was able to watch Ellen's solo and her duet with our piano teacher without any worries. She did a magnificent job! I'd love to be able to play like her some day. She's really great at it.

And that's how my experience of recital went! Good job to all the other piano students and thanks to Mrs Reba, our teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment