Sunday, July 17, 2011

Girl Power!

So basically, I love good, strong female leads in books and movies. I love it when someone creates the Anti-Princess Peach; A female who can take care of herself if need be, yet still able to be ladylike and dignified.

This blog shall be a memorial of sorts to some of my favorite fictional female characters. Starting off the list of super kick butt gals? Katara from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Katara is epic. She's gorgeous, she's a leader, she's smart, and she knows how to hold her own in a battle against the Fire Nation. Katara is basically everything I want to see in a female lead. I love how she knows how to balance being a lover and a fighter perfectly. She's protective of her loved ones, she knows what she believes in, and yet she's very caring and sensitive to those in need.

Another perfectly marvelous character is Toph Bei Fong, the blind Earth Bender.

Out of all the characters on Avatar, Toph is my number one favorite(with Zuko following behind in a close second). I absolutely LOVE everything there is about her! I love how she's handicapped, but doesn't let it stop her. She's witty, determined, tough as nails, and yet she lets her soft side shine through when she thinks it appropriate and helpful. Toph definitely has some qualities that I wish I could obtain, simply because I think she's a great role model, even if she's nothing but a mere cartoon. . .

While the two above are just fine and dandy, one simply cannot forget the epic awesomeness of Mara Jade Skywalker.


My absolute, without a doubt, single most favorite female character EVER. She's a chick with a sketchy past, one that she overcame in the name of love. She's super hardcore, knows her weapons, can easily take care of herself, yet she also understands the importance of teamwork and unity. She soon becomes a mother, and even then, she's still so super in tune with her surroundings and with herself. She's a go-getter with a fierce determination, and I really admire that about her.

There's so many great fictional role models out there(Jo March, Sally, Elizabeth Swann, Anne Shirley, Stargirl, etc)! So many great role models, and yet most girls these days don't want to be like these great heros. No, they'd rather be more like Bella Swan. . .

"Oh, I'm so dramatic but still so cool! Look at me and my permanently pouty facial expressions that would look more realistic on a rock. Oh, I'm just so pitiful and misunderstood, I just need someone, anyone, who will love me. I like to act like I know how to take care of myself, when really I'm just seeking attention and want someone to pity me then give me pity love. I'm just soo great, and yes, I have marvelous style. Ratty converse with a prom dress? Yes, please! Oh, worship me, youth of America, because you know you love my drama filled sap fests of vampire/werewolf love." -- Bella Swan

Psht, puh-leez.

1 comment:

  1. There is also Mulan and while although a villain Mother Gothel. Yes they are cartoons, but hey, they are also strong. ;]

    ReplyDelete